Re: Utilizing DAS on XEN or XCP hosts for Openstack Cinder

> 1.       Is it possible to install Ceph and Ceph monitors on the the XCP
> (XEN) Dom0 or would we need to install it on the DomU containing the
> Openstack components?

I'm not a Xen guru but in the case of KVM I would run the OSDs on the
hypervisor to avoid virtualization overhead.

> 2.       Is Ceph server aware, or Rack aware so that replicas are not stored
> on the same server?

Yes, placement is defined with your crush map and placement rules.

> 3.       Are 4Tb OSD’s too large? We are attempting to restrict the qty of
> OSD’s per server to minimise system overhead

Nope!

> Any other feedback regarding our plan would also be welcomed.

I would probably run each disk as it's own OSD, which means you need a
bit more memory per host. Networking could certainly be a bottleneck
with 8 to 16 spindle nodes. YMMV.

--

Kyle