Utilizing DAS on XEN or XCP hosts for Openstack Cinder

Hey everyone, hopefully you can give me some direction here.

The Scenario: We have multiple dual XEON servers with 4 x 1Tb hard drives as well as servers with 8, 12 & 16 x 1Tb drives. Our plan is to deploy Openstack with XCP (XEN) as a hypervisor and hopefully utilizing the direct attached storage as OSD’s for Ceph.

We plan to install a small SSD in each server for the installation of XCP and any server related tasks, ie: Openstack components, Ceph, Monitors and in future MDS’s.

We will break the storage down into 4Tb MSD’s running RAID0, therefore having 1 – 4 OSD’s per server, configuring Ceph replicas of at least 2 – 3.

We will also bond 2 x 1Gbps NIC’s in each server for a standalone storage LAN segment. We don’t plan on expanding this infrastructure much more than this for some time, so we don’t want to invest in 10Gbps networking hardware.

Here are the questions:

1.       Is it possible to install Ceph and Ceph monitors on the the XCP (XEN) Dom0 or would we need to install it on the DomU containing the Openstack components?

2.       Is Ceph server aware, or Rack aware so that replicas are not stored on the same server?

3.       Are 4Tb OSD’s too large? We are attempting to restrict the qty of OSD’s per server to minimise system overhead

Any other feedback regarding our plan would also be welcomed.

Thanks

Paul