Ceph & Google Summer of Code 2014

Hey Cephers,

This week we found out that the Ceph project has been accepted as a
mentoring organization [0] for the Google Summer of Code [1].  This
means that Google will foot the bill for some number of student
developers this summer ($6000, of which $5500 goes to the student and
$500 goes to Ceph) to work on Ceph.  Since this is our first year we
can probably expect 2-3 slots, depending on how the program shakes
out.

We have some amazing mentors who volunteered this year.  Feel free to
swing by the Ceph GSoC 2014 page [2] and check them out!

The next step is to recruit students to submit proposals based on
either our list of project ideas [3], or something unique that they
want to work on.  Students may start discussions with mentoring orgs
at any time, but official submissions don't open until March 10th (the
sooner they submit in that window, the better!).

Once proposals are in I will rank them (with some help from the
mentors), Google will allocate us N slots, and the top N submissions
will be accepted and funded.  I am in the process of putting together
some promotional materials to get the word out, but if you know
students who may be interested please send them my way and I can help
shepherd them through the process.

Feel free to hit me with questions if you have them.  Hooray for GSoC 2014!

[0]http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/list/public/google/gsoc2014

[1]https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014

[2]http://ceph.com/gsoc2014/

[3]http://ceph.com/gsoc2014/gsoc-ideas-2014/