ceph hadoop using ambari

I posted this to ceph-devel-owner before seeing that this is the correct place to post.

My company is trying to evaluate virtualized hdfs clusters using ceph as a
drop-in replacement for staging and development
following http://ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/hadoop/.  We deploy clusters
with ambari 1.3.2.

I spun up a 10 node cluster with 3 datanodes, name, secondary, 3
zookeepers, ambari master, and accumulo master.

Our process is
This was likely the cause of shutdown errors.  Should do
1. Run ambari install
2. shut down all ambari services
3. push modified core-site.xml to datanodes, name, secondary
4. restart ambari services

I am getting errors
/usr/lib/hadoop/bin/hadoop-daemon.sh: Permission denied

in the ambari console error log from the command:
su - hdfs -c  'export HADOOP_LIBEXEC_DIR=/usr/lib/hadoop/libexec &&
/usr/lib/hadoop/bin/hadoop-daemon.sh --config /etc/hadoop/conf start
datanode'

I think this is an ambari issue, but I¹m wondering
1.  Is there a detailed guide of using ambari with ceph-hadoop, or has
anyone tried it?
2.  Is there a script or list of log files useful for debugging ceph
issues in general?

thanks,

kesten

ps.
I have opened a gist via
and an issue on the horton forums at
bash-usrlibhadoopbinhadoop-daemon-sh-permiss/#post-48793