Re: Use of daily-created/-deleted pools

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014, Hyangtack Lee <hyangtack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm new to Ceph, and looking for a new storage to replace legacy system.

My system has a lot of files accessing temporarily for 2 or 3 days.
Those files are uploaded from many clients everyday, and batch job deletes unused files everyday.

In this case, can I use Ceph's pool to store daily uploaded files?
Scenario is like below:
1. create daily pool, e.g. pool-2014-02-12
2. store files to the pool
3. After 3 days, remove the pool created at step 1.

Is it possible? Is there anyone trying like this?

This also sounds perfectly feasible to me, although we haven't tested how things behave when you iterate through a really large number of pools. You could test that easily enough by doing a lot of creates and then deleting them once the PGs are all active.
If it does work out, it'll rely on the smallest number of components compared to other options, so I think it's worth checking out.
-Greg

Or, can you recommend a good way to delete a group of files(i.e. a directory on posix fs) on Ceph?

According to http://ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/, Ceph FS is currently not recommended for production data. So I exclude Ceph FS from my list and focus on Ceph Storage Cluster accessing by librados.

Thanks in advance.