Re: Kernel rbd & cephx signatures

Correct.   During the intiial handshake, the to ends will decide whether
to use signatures based on whether it is supported by both ends.  That
option allows them to continue even if it is not.  You probably want
the more specific options:

cephx_require_signatures = false
cephx_cluster_require_signatures = true
cephx_service_require_signatures = false

...so that only the clients are off the hook.

sage