Ceph-deploy changing ceph.conf file permissions

All,

I have a situation on my RHEL 6.4 cluster that seems to be caused by ceph-deploy changing the file permissions on /etc/ceph/ceph.conf after running a command such as “ceph-deploy mon create node2 node3”.  The idea was to create additional monitors for a healthy 3 node cluster that already has a functioning default monitor, 3 OSD’s each and a single MDS.

This command failed, and I’m not going to cover that here, but another outcome was that after running that example command trying to run the “ceph health” or “ceph status” command on either the two node results in an error about failing to initialize cluster.

A huge amount of research proved that this failed because ceph.conf only had rw permissions for “root”, and because the ceph commands are run as user “ceph” they failed because they could not read ceph.conf.   Changing the file permissions on that file resolved this issue.  I should point out that the file had full read/write permissions for ceph prior to running the ceph-deploy command.

The time stamp of the latest change to the ceph.conf file coincides with when the ceph-deploy command above was run.

I am running the latest version of ceph-deploy (1.3.4-0) on the Emperor version of Ceph.

I did check the ceph tracker for similar situations, but have not come across anything so would appreciate some feedback on this.

Thanks

Alistair

This message is for information purposes only, it is not a recommendation, advice, offer or solicitation to buy or sell a product or service nor an official confirmation of any transaction. It is directed at persons who are professionals and is not intended for retail customer use. Intended for recipient only. This message is subject to the terms at: www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer.

For important disclosures, please see: www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer regarding market commentary from Barclays Sales and/or Trading, who are active market participants; and in respect of Barclays Research, including disclosures relating to specific issuers, please see http://publicresearch.barclays.com.