Sent: 19-01-2014 10:32 PM
To: kiriti krishna
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  writing data to ceph rbd
On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM, kiriti krishna
<mvsaikrishnakiriti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>         I have successfully installed ceph, and created and configured ceph
> rados, ceph rbd and cephfs. Now I want to want to write data to ceph rbd. I
> have created ceph rbd write on copy clone but I'm not finding any info
> regarding how to write to ceph rbd. Can you please help me with any
> reference to how to write data to rbd. Also where do all of these rbd snap
> shots and their clones will be stored.
> Thanks and Regards,
> Kiriti

rbd is short for block device, you have to "map" an rbd image to
a block device in order to use it (read or write from it).

$ rbd create --size <size_in_mb> <image_name>
$ rbd map <image_name>

will map image_name image to a /dev/rbd<id> block device.  You can then
use this block device as any other block device on your system: create
a filesystem on it, use it as a raw block device, etc.

$ rbd showmapped

will give you the /dev/rbd<id> id.

The other option is to use fuse.  See documentation links below for
details.

http://ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-ko/ - rbd map
http://ceph.com/docs/master/man/8/rbd-fuse/ - fuse

http://ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd/ - everything rbd