Re: CephFS or RadosGW

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Ara Sadoyan wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> We are on a process of developing custom storage application on top of Ceph.
> We will store all metadata in Solr for fast search for paths and get files
> only with calling direct links.
> My question is: Which one is better solution for that propose? Use CephFS or
> RadosGW.
> Which on e will perform faster and better ?

Very generally speaking, radosgw will probably have a lower metadata
overhead, but involves a proxy node (http -> ceph internal protocol).
Cephfs involves the metadata server, but the cephfs clients go direct to
OSDs.

There is a third option, though: librados.  If you are using solr or some
other data store for metadata, you may not need the metadata services of
either the cephfs mds or radosgw.  Basically, if you don't need object
rename, and can handle striping of your large data items over smaller
rados objects, then librados may be a good fit.  It provides rich data
types (bytes, attributes, key/value storage), single-object transactions,
and the ability to run code directly on the storage node.

Here is a recent talk about librados:

http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2014/Wednesday/60-Distributed_storage_and_compute_with_Cephs_librados_-_Sage_Weil.mp4

And the interface is defined here:

http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/api/librados/