Re: Ceph / Dell hardware recommendation

On 1/15/14, 9:20 AM, Mark Nelson wrote:
> I guess I'd probably look at the R520 in an 8 bay configuration with an
> E5-2407 and 4 1TB data disks per chassis (along with whatever OS disk
> setup you want).  That gives you 4 PCIE slots for the extra network
> cards, the option for a hardware raid controller, and some expansion
> options if you want to add more disks.  It's not the densest chassis and
> I've never tested performance on it, but it's a fairly straightforward
> setup with no expanders to worry about and a cheap/fast CPU.

Dell recently will sell now a R720xd with a pure LSI card in it (you
will need to ask).  This is important that the PERC controllers do not
support JBOD mode and really for Ceph you don't want a hardware raid
controller.  They currently give me a hard time about trying to mix and
match SSDs though on the 12 bay back-plane which is not a technical
problem but a Dell problem.  However you can get two flex bays in it
which they allow you to put SSDs in.  So you can get 12 4TB drives and 2
100G eMLC drives in 2U.

Thanks,
derek

--