Re: servers advise (dell r515 or supermicro ....)

> I would like to have this kind of configuration for each node:
>
> - 2U
> - 2,5inch drives
> os : 2 disk sas drive
> journal : 2 x ssd intel dc s3700 100GB
> osd : 10 or 12  x sas Seagate Savvio 10K.6 900GB

> Another option could be to use supermicro server,
> they have some 2U - 16 disks chassis + one or two lsi jbod controller.
> But, I have had in past really bad experience with supermicro motherboard.
> (Mainly firmware bug, ipmi card bug,.....)
> Does someone have experience with supermicro, and give me advise for a good motherboard model?

We are using Supermicro 2uTwin nodes.
These have 2 nodes in 2u with each 12 disks.

We use X9DRT-HF+ mainboards, 2x Intel DC S3500 SSD and 10x 2.5" 1TB 7.2k HDD Seagate Constellation.2
They have SAS2008 controllers on board which can be flashed to be a JBOD controller.

For ceph we install the OS on the SSDs
Each SSD also gets 5 journals.

We have been using these machine  for over a year now for various purposes (including, a somewhat similar workload: Openstack Swift) and are happy up to now.

You might want to look at the new recently announced 2uTwin pro nodes if you want to have 10Gb copper on board.
The above machines just have 2x 1Gb.

I think all brands have their own quirks, the question is which one you are the most comfortable to live with.
(e.g. we have no support contracts with Supermicro and just have parts on stock)

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen