Re: servers advise (dell r515 or supermicro ....)

Hi Sebastian,

Am 15.01.2014 13:55, schrieb Sebastien Han:
Hi Alexandre,

Are you going with a 10Gb network? It’s not an issue for IOPS but more for the bandwidth. If so read the following:

I personally won’t go with a ratio of 1:6 for the journal. I guess 1:5 (or even 1:4) is preferable.
SAS 10K gives you around 140MB/sec for sequential writes.
So if you use a journal with an SSD, you expect at least 140MB if you don’t want to slow things down.
If you do so 140*10 (disks): fulfil your 10GB bandwidth already. So either you don’t need that much disks either you don’t need SSDs.
It depends on the performance that you want to achieve.
Another thing, I also won’t use the DC S3700 since this disk was definitely made for IOPS intensive applications. The journal is purely sequential (small seq block, IIRC Stephan mentioned 370k blocks).
I will instead use with a SSD with large sequential capabilities like 525 series 120GB.

Two important things. Your external controller or onboard port should be SATA III otherwise i've seen degraded sequential SSD speed.

THe DC S3700 isn't good as squential but the 520 or 525 series has the problem that it doesn't have a capicator. We've used Intel SSDs since the 160 series but for ceph we now go for Crucial m500 (has capicitor).

Greets,
Stefan

Cheers.
––––
Sébastien Han
Cloud Engineer

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood.”

Phone: +33 (0)1 49 70 99 72
Mail: sebastien.han@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : 10, rue de la Victoire - 75009 Paris
Web : www.enovance.com - Twitter : @enovance