Re: Which API to use to write and read objects

On 01/14/2014 08:40 AM, Randy Breunling wrote:
New to CEPH...so I'm on the learning-curve here.
Have been through a lot of the documentation but am confused on one
thing, still.

What is the API or interface to use if we just want to write and read
objects to CEPH object storage...and don't necessarily care about
compatibility with Amazon s3 or Openstack SWIFT?
Do we librados?

Yes. For librados various language bindings are available:
* Python
* PHP
* Java
* Erlang
* Ruby
* Perl

Be aware, librados does NOT stripe your objects. RBD, CephFS and the RADOS Gateway all strip in 4MB objects (configurable). librados does not do striping, so you will have to implement striping there.

Or maybe asked a different way...when would someone want or need to use
the s3- or SWIFT-compatible API interfaces to CEPH (RADOS).

For easier integration. Existing applications which already talk S3 can simply use Ceph without changes required to the application.

Thanks...

--Randy

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.