Re: ceph-deploy Platform is not supported: debian

The ceph-deploy git master should be able to handle wheezy/sid jessie/sid strings now (and anything else following a/b syntax and not raise unless we have flagged the version for non-support)

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM, James Harper
> <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> ceph-deploy uses Python to detect information for a given platform,
> >> can you share what this command gives
> >> as output?
> >>
> >> python -c "import platform; print platform.linux_distribution()"
> >>

> > Servers that 'gatherkeys' does work on:
> > ('debian', '7.1', '')
> > ('debian', '7.2', '')
> >
> > Servers that 'gatherkeys' does not work on:
> > ('debian', 'jessie/sid', '')
> > ('debian', 'wheezy/sid', '')
> >
> > The computer reporting 'wheezy/sid' is an upgrade from squeeze that may
> have a few packages in the failed state. Same with the one reporting
> jessie/sid.
>
> Aha, yeah, that is definitely the problem. See, ceph-deploy needs to
> know *exactly* what distro/release/version combination is dealing with
> because
> it uses that to correctly point to the correct repos.
>
> "wheezy/sid" would be hard (if not impossible) to correctly determine
> what it should do.

That makes sense. As per your bug report a helpful error message like "Platform is not supported: debian (wheezy/sid)" would have been much more useful.

Just for future googlers, the 'wheezy/sid' appears to come from /etc/debian_version in 'base-files' which hadn't been updated. Presumably it was still as at when wheezy was 'unstable'. Updating the base-files package updated the /etc/debian_version file, and 'ceph-deploy gatherkeys' now behaves as expected.

I think it would be nice for unstable to be supported though. The ceph wheezy packages work just fine on unstable (jessie/sid), so it would be nice if ceph-deploy could simply issue a warning and/or disable package installation when it cannot determine the OS completely reliably.

Thanks

James

If google has done it, Google did it right!