Basic cephx configuration

Hello every one,

Just ran a fresh install of version Emperor on an empty cluster, and I am left clueless, trying to troubleshoot cephx. After ceph-deploy created the keys, I used ceph-authtool to generate the client.admin keyring and the monitor keyring, as indicated in the doc. The configuration is really out-of-the-box: 3 monitors, each with the keyring in /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-???/keyring, all keyrings have umask 644 and are owned by ceph.

However, no matter which combination of "auth_cluster_", "auth_service_", or "auth_client_required", is set to cephx; no matter either the keyring options like "-k" and "--id" on the command line. Authentication fails every time with:

client.admin authentication error (95) Operation not supported
Error connecting to cluster: Error

A big thanks to any one who gives me a hint about what it means. (This message carries so little information, I feel it could be simply replaced by the "!" character.) I have looked in every ceph and system log file, nothing more.

Best regards,

Nicolas Canceill
Scalable Storage Systems
SURFsara (Amsterdam, NL)