Re: Ceph as offline S3 substitute and peer-to-peer fileshare?

Anything? Would really appreciate any wisdom at all on this.

Thanks,
Alek

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Alek Storm <alek.storm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to use Ceph to solve two problems at my company: to be an S3 mock for testing our application, and for sharing test artifacts in a peer-to-peer fashion between developers.

We currently store immutable binary blobs ranging from a few kB to several hundred MB in S3, which means both integration testing and most normal development is impossible when offline. Separately, we share these binary blobs with each other through Dropbox (for local tweaking; we like Dropbox's filesystem emulation) - unfortunately, as we grow, this is becoming prohibitively expensive.

I'd like to set up Ceph as follows: each developer runs a single OSD on their personal machine. Each OSD has a complete replica of all data; we'll keep the total size to a few gigs at most. To sync with other boxes, the developer can connect to a Ceph monitor on our corporate VPN whenever they happen to be online, in order to initiate peering. Each developer, when testing, points their local stack at their own OSD instance, instead of the AWS S3 endpoint.

I know what I've described is a bit unusual - is Ceph the right tool for this? Can you give any pointers to particular config settings or places in the documentation I should be looking? I'm only just diving in now; Ceph's flexibility can be a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance,
Alek