Re: Networking questions

Hello Kyle,

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 16:33:01 -0800 Kyle Bader wrote:

> > Do monitors have to be on the cluster network as well or is it
> > sufficient for them to be on the public network as
> > http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/network-config-ref/
> > suggests?
>
> Monitors only need to be on the public network.

Thanks, that's what I figured and hoped it to be.

> > Also would the OSDs re-route their traffic over the public network if
> > that was still available in case the cluster network fails?
>
> Ceph doesn't currently support this type of configuration.
>
> Hope that clears things up!

Yup, guess I will start with 1 dual port IB HBA per storage node for a
redundant "public" network and do some tests (OSD, node failure, loads of
clients running benchmarks) to see if another dual port HBA for the
cluster network would be worth it (at a mere $1000 per card).

A failover to public network would have let me gotten away with a single
port card, which unsurprisingly is half the price. ^o^

Regards,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/