Re: How much space?

On Dec 21, 2013 12:32 PM, "shacky" <shacky83@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I all depends on the replication level you use, but let's assume 3.
>

> Does replication level 3 mean that the data are all replicated three times in the cluster?

Replication is set on a per pool basis. You can set some, or all, pools to replica size of 2 instead of 3.

>> So you get the capacity of one machine.
>>
>> 4 * 1000 * 1000 / 1024 /1024 = 3.81TB
>>
>> This would result in 15.24TB of raw space per machine, so 45TB of raw capacity in the cluster.
>>
>> You probably shouldn't fill the disks over 80% just to be safe. So with 3x replication you have 12.2TB of usable storage.
>

>  From 45TB to 12.2TB? So less?
> I would expect something similar to RAID5 (about 36GB of usable storage).
> I think I don't understand how Ceph works: could you help me to understand well?

Ceph uses replication not erasure coding (unlike RAID). So data is completely duplicated in multiple copies. Erasure coding is scheduled for the Firefly release, according to the roadmap.

-JJ Galvez