Re: Storing VM Images on CEPH with RBD-QEMU driver

Hello,

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:20:48 +0100 Dan van der Ster wrote:

> Hi,
> Our fio tests against qemu-kvm on RBD look quite promising, details here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoB4ekP8AM3RdGlDaHhoSV81MDhUS25EUVZxdmN6WHc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

That data is very interesting and welcome, however it would be a lot more
relevant if it included information about your setup (though it is
relatively easy to create a Ceph cluster than can saturate GbE ^.^) and
your configuration.

For example I assume you're using the native QEMU RBD interface.
How did you configure caching, just turned it on and left it at the
default values?

> tl;dr: rbd with caching enabled is (1) at least 2x faster than the
> local instance storage, and (2) reaches the hypervisor's GbE network
> limit in ~all cases except very small random writes.
>
> BTW, currently we have ~10 VMs running those fio tests in a loop, and
> we're seeing ~25,000op/s sustained in the ceph logs. Not bad IMHO.
Given the feedback I got from my "Sanity Check" mail, I'm even more
interested in the actual setup you're using now.
Given your workplace, I expect to be impressed. ^o^

> Cheers, Dan
> CERN IT/DSS

[snip]

Regards,