Re: ulimit max user processes (-u) and non-root ceph clients

On Dec 16, 2013 8:26 PM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Dan van der Ster
> <daniel.vanderster@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry to revive this old thread, but I wanted to update you on the current
> > pains we're going through related to clients' nproc (and now nofile)
> > ulimits. When I started this thread we were using RBD for Glance images
> > only, but now we're trying to enable RBD-backed Cinder volumes and are not
> > really succeeding at the moment :(
> >
> > As we had guessed from our earlier experience, librbd and therefore qemu-kvm
> > need increased nproc/nofile limits otherwise VMs will freeze. In fact we
> > just observed a lockup of a test VM due to the RBD device blocking
> > completely (this appears as blocked flush processes in the VM); we're
> > actually not sure which of the nproc/nofile limits caused the freeze, but it
> > was surely one of those.
> >
> > And the main problem we face now is that it isn't trivial to increase the
> > limits of qemu-kvm on a running OpenStack hypervisor -- the values are set
> > by libvirtd and seem to require a restart of all guest VMs on a host to
> > reload a qemu config file. I'll update this thread when we find the solution
> > to that...
>
> Is there some reason you can't just set it ridiculously high to start with?

As I mentioned, we haven't yet found a way to change the limits without affecting (stopping) the existing running (important) VMs. We thought that /etc/security/limits.conf would do the trick, but alas limits there have no effect on qemu.

Cheers, Dan