Re: Impact of fancy striping

If I understand correctly you have one sas disk as a journal for multiple OSDs.
If you do small synchronous writes it will become a IO bottleneck pretty quickly:
Due to multiple journals on the same disk it will no longer be sequential writes writes to one journal but  4k writes to x journals making it fully random.
I would expect a performance of 100 to 200 IOPS max.
Doing an iostat -x or atop should show this bottleneck immediately.
This is also the reason to go with SSDs: they have reasonable random IO performance.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen

Sent from my iPad