Re: Impact of fancy striping

Hopefully a Ceph developer will be able to clarify how small writes are journaled?

The write-through 'bug' seems to explain small-block performance I've measured in various configurations (I find similar results to you). I've not still tested the patch cited, but it would be *very* interesting to know the impact on clusters running with spinning-disk journals in particular.

On 2013-12-06 16:05, nicolasc wrote:
Hi James,

Thank you for this clarification. I am quite aware of that, which is
why the journals are on SAS disks in RAID0 (SSDs out of scope).

I still have trouble believing that fast-but-not-super-fast journals
is the main reason for the poor performances observed. Maybe I am
mistaken?

Best regards,

Nicolas Canceill
Scalable Storage Systems