Re: Mounting Ceph on Linux/Windows

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013, James Harper wrote:

> > > Do you mean cephfs filesystem, or rbd block device?
> > >
> > > I have ported librbd to windows in a very "alpha" sense - it compiles
> > > and I can do things like 'rbd ls' and 'rbd import', but haven't tested
> > > it much further than that.
> >
> > I would love to see any of this porting work make its way back into the
> > tree. Have you seen the work going on in the wip-port branch?
> >

> I wasn't aware it existed. Would that be a good place to start with
> committing the win32 stuff? Or a new win32 branch based on ports? My
> stuff is currently against dumpling, but from a brief browse of the
> commits it looks like we share some of the required changes.

Yeah, I'd try to make sure the efforts are complementary.  If stuff in
wip-port is general enough, let's make it.

> For win32 my current scheme is to just throw out all the configure and
> automake stuff and have a static makefile, so the build procedure is 'cd
> win32; make'. Do you think that's acceptable?

I think that's a fine, certainly as a place to start.  (I'm not sure there
is going to be a better solution that doesn't rely on mingw32 or cygwin or
something.)

> I suppose the configure
> could be modified to work with a mingw32 cross compile under Linux, but
> it might be a bit of a stretch to make it work in mingw32 environment
> under Windows (or maybe it's easy... I've never used mingw32 under
> Windows). At this time the configure and Makefile stuff would need to be
> able to build only selective bits as a lot of stuff doesn't currently
> build under Windows, and some may never build... osd under windows would
> be a pretty big project for something with very limited appeal (imho)

Yep!

Anyway, this sounds great!
sage