Re: Intel 520/530 SSD for ceph

Hi Mark,

Am 22.11.2013 02:37, schrieb Mark Nelson:
On 11/21/2013 02:36 AM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
Hi,

Am 21.11.2013 01:29, schrieb mdw@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:02:41AM +0100, Stefan Priebe wrote:
You might be able to vary this behavior by experimenting with sdparm,
smartctl or other tools, or possibly with different microcode in
the drive.
Which values or which settings do you think of?

Off-hand, I don't know.  Probably the first thing would be
to compare the configuration of your 520 & 530; anything that's
different is certainly worth investigating.

This should display all pages,
    sdparm --all --long /dev/sdX
the 520 only appears to have 3 pages, which can be fetched directly w/
    sdparm --page=ca --long /dev/sdX
    sdparm --page=co --long /dev/sdX
    sdparm --page=rw --long /dev/sdX

The sample machine I'm looking has an intel 520, and on ours,
most options show as 0 except for
   AWRE        1  [cha: n, def:  1]  Automatic write reallocation
enabled
   WCE         1  [cha: y, def:  1]  Write cache enable
   DRA         1  [cha: n, def:  1]  Disable read ahead
   GLTSD       1  [cha: n, def:  1]  Global logging target save disable
   BTP        -1  [cha: n, def: -1]  Busy timeout period (100us)
   ESTCT      30  [cha: n, def: 30]  Extended self test completion
time (sec)
Perhaps that's an interesting data point to compare with yours.

Figuring out if you have up-to-date intel firmware appears to require
burning and running an iso image from
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455

The results of sdparm --page=<whatever> --long /dev/sdc
show the intel firmware, but this labels it better:
smartctl -i /dev/sdc
Our 520 has firmware "400i" loaded.

Firmware is up2date and all values are the same. I expect that the 520
firmware just ignores CMD_FLUSH commands and the 530 does not.

For those of you that don't follow LKML, there is some interesting
discussion going on regarding this same issue (Hi Stefan!)

https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/11/20/158

Can anyone think of a reasonable (ie not yanking power out) way to test
what CMD_FLUSH is actually doing?  I have some 520s in our test rig I
can play with.  Otherwise, maybe an Intel engineer can chime in and let
us know what's going on?

just a guess but i'm pretty sure after around 2 weeks of testing various drives that this is the case.

1.) CMD_FLUSH is a valid ATA command and the drive should FLUSH the cache when the system sends this command. No matter if the drive has a capicitor or not.

2.) Some SSDs simply ignore this command - some with and some without capicitor.

Some examples:
- Intel X25      | no capicitor | ignores CMD_FLUSH
- Intel 330      | capicitor    | CMD_FLUSH
- Intel 520      | no capicitor | ignores CMD_FLUSH
- Intel 530      | no capicitor | CMD_FLUSH
- Intel DC S3500 | capicitor    | CMD_FLUSH
- Crucial M4     | no capicitor | CMD_FLUSH
- Crucial M500   | capicitor    | CMD_FLUSH

So it's up the user to know what his drive can do and what it can not. Right now i think ceph needs an option for this - or the linux kernel ;-)

ceph bench on a M500:

# ignored CMD FLUSH through patched kernel:
[cloud2-1333: ~]# ceph tell osd.0 bench
{ "bytes_written": 1073741824,
  "blocksize": 4194304,
  "bytes_per_sec": "183780378.000000"}

# CMD FLUSH with vanilla kernel:
[cloud2-1333: ~]# ceph tell osd.23 bench
{ "bytes_written": 1073741824,
  "blocksize": 4194304,
  "bytes_per_sec": "99309450.000000"}

Greets,