Re: alternative approaches to CEPH-FS

On Wednesday, 20 November 2013, Gautam Saxena wrote:
Hi Yip,

Thanks for the code. With respect to "can't grow", I think I can (with some difficulty perhaps?) resize the vm if I needed to, but I'm really just trying to buy myself time till CEPH-FS is production ready....Point #3 scares me, so I'll have to think about that one. Most likely I'd use a completely different technology to back-up this VM (eg rsync the key folders to some external, encrypted, cheap RAID storage, such as iomega.) Point 4 is probably not that big a deal for my needs, since CEPH itself should more-or-less ensure high availability due to disk crashes -- and as for VM crashing, I can tolerate a few minutes/hours downtime if needed, and so far I have yet to have a Linux VM crash over 3 years of running them....

Sorry, I don't really mean "can't". It should be easy to expand the rbd and resize2fs the partition, but a drawback is that it will incur downtime. All in all, sounds like a feasible solution too! :)

- WP