Re: rbd ext4 vs xfs

On 11/13/2013 10:13 PM, Shain Miley wrote:
Hello,

I am creating a 250 TB rbd image that may grow to 500 or 600 TB over the next year or so.  I initially formatted the image using ext4 as shown in the rbd quick start guide, however I have found several examples across the internet that show rbd being formatted with xfs instead.

I was just wondering, if there is was any major known pros or cons when it comes to using xfs instead of ext4  (or vise versa) for the rbd filesystem.

RBD doesn't care about which filesystem lays on top, it simply does I/O for you.

From what I know about ext4 is that not every distribution supports filesystems larger then 16TB.

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto

"NOTE: Although very large fileystems are on ext4's feature list, current e2fsprogs currently still limits the filesystem size to 2^32 blocks (16TiB for a 4KiB block filesystem). Allowing filesystems larger than 16T is one of the very next high-priority features to complete for ext4. "

I'd say, take XFS, works fine.

Thanks in advance,

Shain

Shain Miley | Manager of Systems and Infrastructure, Digital Media | smiley@xxxxxxx | 202.513.3649