Re: Ceph-deploy, sudo and proxies

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM,  <alistair.whittle@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> admin node and create the cluster.   All ceph nodes are no password sudo
> tested and I have made sure that the proxy settings are kept when trying an
> ‘rpm’ command using sudo.  All other preflight checks are completed with
> ceph being the default login user etc.
>

> So, when I run the ceph-deploy install <ceph-node> command from the admin
> node, I get the following error:
>

> ceph@ldtdsr02se17 PROD $ ceph-deploy install ldtdsr02se18
>
> [ceph_deploy.cli][INFO  ] Invoked (1.2.7): /usr/bin/ceph-deploy install
> ldtdsr02se18
>
> [ceph_deploy.install][DEBUG ] Installing stable version dumpling on cluster
> ceph hosts ldtdsr02se18
>
> [ceph_deploy.install][DEBUG ] Detecting platform for host ldtdsr02se18 ...
>
> [ceph_deploy.sudo_pushy][DEBUG ] will use a remote connection with sudo
>
> [ceph_deploy.install][INFO  ] Distro info: RedHatEnterpriseServer 6.4
> Santiago
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][INFO  ] installing ceph on ldtdsr02se18
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][INFO  ] Running command: su -c 'rpm --import
> "https://ceph.com/git/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;f=keys/release.asc";'
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ] Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ]   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ceph_deploy/hosts/centos/install.py", line
> 23, in install
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ]   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ceph_deploy/util/decorators.py", line 10,
> in inner
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ]   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ceph_deploy/util/wrappers.py", line 6, in
> remote_call
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ]   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/subprocess.py", line
> 502, in check_call
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ]     raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ] CalledProcessError: Command '['su -c \'rpm --import
> "https://ceph.com/git/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;f=keys/release.asc"\'']'
> returned non-zero exit status 1
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ] curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
>
> [ldtdsr02se18][ERROR ] error:
> https://ceph.com/git/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;f=keys/release.asc: import
> read failed(2).
>
> [ceph_deploy][ERROR ] RuntimeError: Failed to execute command: su -c 'rpm
> --import "https://ceph.com/git/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;f=keys/release.asc";'
>

> Note that it uses sudo as it should and then complains about not being able
> to connect.   When I run the exact same command on the ceph node itself as
> the “ceph” user, it works without any errors.   This implies that the
> authentication is in place between ceph and root, and the proxy settings are
> correct.   Yet, it fails to work when initiated from the admin node via
> ceph-deploy.
>

> Any ideas what might be going on here?   I should add that I looked at the
> github page about using the “–no-adjust-repos” flag but my version of
> ceph-deploy says it is an invalid flag...

You should make sure you are running the latest version for
ceph-deploy (1.2.7 at the moment).

But this is a known issue, and it basically happens with proxies
because environment variables get reset on sudo (common on a lot of
distros for security concerns).

What is set for a user when it is logged in via SSH will not have a
1:1 behavior when done in a non-interactive shell which is what
ceph-deploy does.

My first recommendation is to use the latest ceph-deploy and the
`--no-adjust-repos` flag. We do have a couple of open tickets to
address the need for a
proxy flag so that ceph-deploy in turn can use those values whenever a
wget or curl is about to be used.