Re: Rados bench result when increasing OSDs

On 10/24/2013 08:31 AM, Guang Yang wrote:
> Hi Mark, Greg and Kyle,
> Sorry to response this late, and thanks for providing the directions for
> me to look at.
>
> We have exact the same setup for OSD, pool replica (and even I tried to
> create the same number of PGs within the small cluster), however, I can
> still reproduce this constantly.
>
> This is the command I run:
> $ rados bench -p perf_40k_PG -b 5000 -t 3 --show-time 10 write
>
> With 24 OSDs:
> Average Latency: 0.00494123
> Max latency:     0.511864
> Min latency:      0.002198
>
> With 330 OSDs:
> Average Latency:    0.00913806
> Max latency:             0.021967
> Min latency:              0.005456
>
> In terms of the crush rule, we are using the default one, for the small
> cluster, it has 3 OSD hosts (11 + 11 + 2), for the large cluster, we
> have 30 OSD hosts (11 * 30).
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>   1. Is it possible that latency is due to that we have only three layer
> hierarchy? like root -> host -> OSD, and as we are using the Straw (by
> default) bucket type, which has O(N) speed, and if host number increase,
> so that the computation actually increase. I suspect not as the
> computation is in the order of microseconds per my understanding.

I suspect this is very unlikely as well.

>   2. Is it possible because we have more OSDs, the cluster will need to
> maintain far more connections between OSDs which potentially slow things
> down?

One thing here that might be very interesting is this:

After you run your tests, if you do something like:

find /var/run/ceph/*.asok -maxdepth 1 -exec sudo ceph --admin-daemon {}
dump_historic_ops \; > foo

on each OSD server, you will get a dump of the 10 slowest operations
over the last 10 minutes for each OSD on each server, and it will tell
you were in each OSD operations were backing up.  You can sort of search
through these files by greping for "duration" first, looking for the
long ones, and then going back and searching through the file for those
long durations and looking at the associated latencies.

Something I have been investigating recently is time spent waiting for
osdmap propagation.  It's something I haven't had time to dig into
meaningfully, but if we were to see that this was more significant on
your larger cluster vs your smaller one, that would be very interesting
news.