Re: CephFS and clients [was: CephFS & Project Manila (OpenStack)]

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/23/2013 02:46 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
>
>> Ah, I see. No, each CephFS client needs to communicate with the whole
>> cluster. Only the POSIX metadata changes flow through the MDS.
>
> Yeah, I thought you'd say that. Back in February I asked if I could get
> a cephfs client to read from a specific osd, localhost in my case, and
> was given to understand that the whole point of cephfs is that it won't.
>
>> It is better to make such issues technically difficult or impossible,
>> than to make them legal requirements — being able to sue the guy
>> running 3 VMs for his side project doesn't do much good if he's
>> managed to damage somebody else.
>
> Well, you can't, can you? If every client is banging on every osd, the
> amount of damage it can potentially do is non-deterministic with upper
> bound of "the entire storage infrastructure". At which point suing
> anybody won't help indeed.
>
> All I need to do is subvert one "trusted" hypervisor, and then your "the
> entire storage infrastructure" is just as dead.

Actually, the OSDs are a pretty small attack vector. Buffer overflow
attacks or whatever aside, we have a rich enough capabilities system
to prevent anybody from accessing data not their own in the OSDs, and
although heavy users can increase the latency for everybody else, the
op processing is fair so they can't block access.
(If somebody manages to subvert an OpenStack hypervisor, I believe
they can do a lot worse than bang on the storage cluster!)
-Greg