Re: CephFS and clients [was: CephFS & Project Manila (OpenStack)]

On 10/23/2013 02:46 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:

> Ah, I see. No, each CephFS client needs to communicate with the whole
> cluster. Only the POSIX metadata changes flow through the MDS.

Yeah, I thought you'd say that. Back in February I asked if I could get
a cephfs client to read from a specific osd, localhost in my case, and
was given to understand that the whole point of cephfs is that it won't.

> It is better to make such issues technically difficult or impossible,
> than to make them legal requirements — being able to sue the guy
> running 3 VMs for his side project doesn't do much good if he's
> managed to damage somebody else.

Well, you can't, can you? If every client is banging on every osd, the
amount of damage it can potentially do is non-deterministic with upper
bound of "the entire storage infrastructure". At which point suing
anybody won't help indeed.

All I need to do is subvert one "trusted" hypervisor, and then your "the
entire storage infrastructure" is just as dead.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin