already exists in both locations, and it's large enough that I don't
want to re-replicate everything.  So I have 3 ideas of how to populate
and replicate the clusters.

#1: Build a cluster in both datacenters. Setup all of the regions and
zones, but do not start replication.  Execute the same NFS to RGW import
in both locations.  Start up replication.

The documentation
(http://ceph.com/docs/wip-doc-radosgw/radosgw/federated-config/) doesn't
say that I can't do this.  But I don't know if it accomplish anything.
Without knowing the internals of replication, this could be a massive
speed up, or just useless.

#2: Setup both Ceph clusters in the primary data center.  Create all
regions and zones as they will eventually be, and start
geo-replication.  Import all data into the primary, letting it replicate
at LAN speeds.  When the import is done, shutdown the "remote" cluster,
and ship all the "remote" servers to the remote datacenter.  Turn on the
remote cluster and let replication catch up.

How long can replication be down and still catch up?  What happens when
this window is exceeded?
This is something I need to test anyway, but I wasn't planning to go
quite so extreme in my testing.

#3: Setup replication before import, and re-replicate all the data over
the internet.

Just guessing, I'd say the bandwidth bill will cost about the same as
all the time I'll spend testing and executing #1 or #2.  If that's true,
#3 looks easier, faster, and less stressful.

Are there any docs about the mechanism of replication?  Knowing how it
replication works would answer most of my questions.  If it's not
documented, it would be worth my time to read the source and write the doc.

Are there some other options I haven't thought of?

Thanks for any thought or suggestions.