Re: Poor performance with three nodes

On 10/2/2013 3:13 PM, Warren Wang wrote:
I agree with Greg that this isn't a great test. You'll need multiple clients to push the Ceph cluster, and you have to use oflag=direct if you're using dd.

I was not doing a test of overall performance but, rather, doing a "smoke test" to see whether its performance was an order of magnitude different from iSCSI and Amazon EBS. oflag=direct takes the block cache out of the picture but for a volume of the size I tested was irrelevant.

By contrast, that same dd to an iSCSI volume exported by one of the servers wrote at 240 megabytes per second. Order of magnitude difference.

The OSDs should be individual drives, not part of a RAID set, otherwise you're just creating extra work, unless you've reduced the number of copies to 1 in your ceph config.

If all I wanted was 1 copy I would use iSCSI, which is much faster. My purpose was to distribute copies to multiple servers / SAS channels. As for individual drives this is on shared infrastructure that provides NFS and iSCSI services to the rest of my network, so that is not going to happen.

What I've seen is that a single threaded Ceph client maxes out around 50 MB/s for us, but the overall capacity is much, much higher.

I suppose I was looking for performance similar to Amazon EBS. Oh well.

It's looking suspiciously like Ceph simply isn't a viable option for my environment. I can't put out something that performs worse than the current environment, my users would lynch me. iSCSI is a PITA because if one of the servers goes down I have to hijack its IP on its replica server and export its replica volumes to the clients, but at least I can get more than 50MB/s out of iSCSI. Oh well, it was a good idea anyhow...