Best practices for managing S3 objects store

Hi,
We have a Ceph cluster set up and are trying to evaluate Ceph for it's S3 compatible object storage. I came across this best practices document for Amazon S3, which goes over how naming keys in a particular way can improve performance of object GET and PUT operations (http://aws.amazon.com/articles/1904/).
I wonder if this also applies to the object store in Ceph. I am also curious about the best strategy to organize objects in buckets i.e. whether it's a good idea to distribute objects to predefined number of  buckets (say for instance 256 or 1024 buckets) or it just doesn't matter how many objects you put in a bucket (i.e. just put all objects in a single bucket). We have objects of size ranging from 50KB to 10 MB.

Thanks
Aniket Nanhe