Re: MONs numbers, hardware sizing and write ack

On 09/19/2013 10:03 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
2013/9/19 Joao Eduardo Luis <joao.luis@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
We have no benchmarks on that, that I am aware of.  But the short and sweet
answer should be "not really, highly unlikely".

If anything, increasing the number of mons should increase the response
time, although for such low numbers that should also be virtually
negligible.

Think of the monitors as the guys behind the counter at a the tourist desk
giving maps for your city and providing information to people, and if you
assume that for each one of these guys there's a single line. Having more of
these guys helps with larger numbers of tourists.
[cut]
In any case, you should be safe running 3 or 5 monitors without any
noticeable decrease in performance.  7 may also be just fine. More than that
I have no idea, but you should feel free to test this out in your system and
share results; I'm sure all of us would appreciate :)

Thank you for the clarification.
What I would like to avoid is putting in production dedicated hardware for mons
I'm running out of 10GbE ports and I don't have a 1GbE switch in ceph
cluster) so,
putting MONs on the same OSD server will allow me to archieve this by using
the same OSD hardware and thus the same 10GbE network port.

But I would also like to avoid a performance bottleneck caused by mons on the
same osd server. If increasing the number of mons will also decrease
the hardware requirements
for each of them, i'll put one mon on each osd server (5, 7, 9, and so on)

It's perfectly fine having the monitors sharing the servers with the OSDs.

Having more monitors however won't decrease the hardware requirements for each individual monitor. Should not increase the hardware requirements either.

  -Joao

--
Joao Eduardo Luis
Software Engineer | http://inktank.com | http://ceph.com