Re: Ceph performance with 8K blocks.

Try it with oflag=dsync instead? I'm curious what kind of variation
these disks will provide.

Anyway, you're not going to get the same kind of performance with
RADOS on 8k sync IO that you will with a local FS. It needs to
traverse the network and go through work queues in the daemon; your
primary limiter here is probably the per-request latency that you're
seeing (average ~30 ms, looking at the rados bench results). The good
news is that means you should be able to scale out to a lot of
clients, and if you don't force those 8k sync IOs (which RBD won't,
unless the application asks for them by itself using directIO or
frequent fsync or whatever) your performance will go way up.
-Greg