Re: Ceph performance with 8K blocks.

Windows default (NTFS) is a 4k block.  Are you changing the allocation unit to 8k as a default for your configuration?

From: "Gregory Farnum" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jason Villalta" <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:40:09 AM
Subject: Re: Ceph performance with 8K blocks.

Your 8k-block dd test is not nearly the same as your 8k-block rados bench or SQL tests. Both rados bench and SQL require the write to be committed to disk before moving on to the next one; dd is simply writing into the page cache. So you're not going to get 460 or even 273MB/s with sync 8k writes regardless of your settings.

However, I think you should be able to tune your OSDs into somewhat better numbers -- that rados bench is giving you ~300IOPs on every OSD (with a small pipeline!), and an SSD-based daemon should be going faster. What kind of logging are you running with and what configs have you set?

Hopefully you can get Mark or Sam or somebody who's done some performance tuning to offer some tips as well. :)
-Greg