Re: Issues setting up ceph object storage

On 08/29, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 28, 2013, Gerd Jakobovitsch wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am trying to install a ceph environment for testing, focused on block
> > devices for virtualization and object storage. I am facing some issues.
> >
> > My environment consists of one server running ceph-deploy and mon; 3
> > cluster nodes with 3 disks each running a total of 3 OSD's; and one object
> > gateway. All servers are virtualized, running ubuntu 13.04 on XenServer
> > hosts. When installing, I created a cluster with non-default name.
> >
> > The issues:
> >
> > 1) I couldn't create the OSD with non-default filesystem. I tried using
> > "--fs-type btrfs  ", as stated here. The option was not accepted. How can I
> > use btrfs using ceph-deploy?
>

> A bug was just opened for this inthe tracker. However, I believe you can
> work around it be editing the ceph.conf (before pushing it out to the OSDs)
> and specifying "fs type = btrfs" in the OSD section.
>

> > 2) When trying to restart a OSD - in my case, to apply a changed
> > configuration for cluster network, the command "sudo /etc/init.d/ceph -c
> > <cluster>.conf stop osd.<num>" is accepted, but doesn't shut down the osd.
> > I had to kill the process to achieve it, and run the command line request
> > to run it again.
>

> On Ubuntu you should be using Upstart to manage the processes. "sudo stop
> ceph-osd id=<num>", iirc.
>

> > Btw, I still have a number of connections between OSDs across the public
> > network, even after configuring the cluster network.
>

> Hmm, I think that's so they can do pings to measure the health of both
> interfaces.
>
> I'm not sure about the gateway; somebody else will have to pick that up! :)
> -Greg
>

> > 3) I'm also facing problems running radosgw - when running
> > /etc/init.d/radosgw start, the request is accepted, but no process exists;
> > but I'm still gathering more information and double checking the object
> > gateway installation.

Hi, I dont`t think that this is help, but anyways :)

I have the same issues with radosgw, and I had to start it manually by doing the command in FastCGI script.

When I was trying to do this via upstart/init, it always complained about ID, or something.

Regards,
NM