Re: Storage, File Systems and Data Scrubbing

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, ker can wrote:
> This was very helpful -thanks.  However I'm still trying to reconcile this
> with something that Sage mentioned a while back on a similar topic.
> Apparently you can disable the journal if you're using  btrfs.  Is that
> possible because btrfs takes care of things like atomic object writes and
> updates to the osd metadata ?

It's because with btrfs we take snapshots that are consistent checkpoints.
You *can* disable the journal, but it means that writes only commit when
a new checkpoint is made (i.e., snapshot), which is a infrequent and
relatively expensive operation.. so in general the write latency is
terrible.  This is useful only for workloads where you are doing bulk data
inject (for example) and write latency is not important.

sage