Re: Storage, File Systems and Data Scrubbing

I think you are missing the distinction between metadata journaling and data journaling.  In most cases a journaling filesystem is one that journal's it's own metadata but your data is on its own.  Consider the case where you have a replication level of two, the osd filesystems have journaling disabled and you append a block to a file (which is an object in terms of ceph) but only one commits the change in file size to disk.  Later you scrub and discover a discrepancy in object sizes, with a replication level of 2 there is no way to authoritatively say which one is correct just based on what's in ceph.  This is a similar scenario to a btrfs bug that caused me to lose data with ceph.  Journaling your metadata is the absolute minimum level of assurance you need to make a transactional system like ceph work.