Re: bucket count limit

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Dominik Mostowiec
<dominikmostowiec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I think about sharding s3 buckets in CEPH cluster, create
> bucket-per-XX (256 buckets) or even bucket-per-XXX (4096 buckets)
> where XXX is sign from object md5 url.
> Could this be the problem? (performance, or some limits)

The two issues that I can think of. One is that there's usually a 1000
buckets per user limitation. This can be easily modified though.
The second issue is that you might end up with a huge number of
buckets per user, and at that point listing buckets may just take too
long. We've seen in the past cases where listing large number of
buckets (> 500k) took more than the client timeout period, which in
turn retried and retried, which snowballed into a very high load on
the gateway (as the original requests were still processing
internally). However, this might not be an issue anymore, I do
remember we had a problem with streamlining the list bucket responses
which I think is already fixed. In any case, if you're not planning to
list all the user's buckets then this is moot.

Yehuda