Re: Ceph Deployments

On 08/19/2013 10:36 AM, Schmitt, Christian wrote:
> Hello, I just have some small questions about Ceph Deployment models and
> if this would work for us.
> Currently the first question would be, is it possible to have a ceph
> single node setup, where everything is on one node?

yes. depends on 'everything', but it's possible (though not recommended)
to run mon, mds, and osd's on the same host, and even do virtualisation.

> Our Application, Ceph's object storage and a database?

what is 'a database'?

> We focus on this
> deployment model for our very small customers, who only have like 20
> members that use our application, so the load wouldn't be very high.
> And the next question would be, is it possible to extend the Ceph single
> node to 3 nodes later, if they need more availability?

yes.

> Also we always want to use Shared Nothing Machines, so every service
> would be on one machine, is this Okai for Ceph, or does Ceph really need
> a lot of CPU/Memory/Disk Speed?

ceph needs cpu / disk speed when disks fail and need to be recovered. it
also uses some cpu when you have a lot of i/o, but generally it is
rather lightweight.
shared nothing is possible with ceph, but in the end this really depends
on your application.

> Currently we make an archiving software for small customers and we want
> to move things on the file system on a object storage.

you mean from the filesystem to an object storage?

> Currently we only
> have customers that needs 1 machine or 3 machines. But everything should
> work as fine on more.

it would with ceph. probably :)