Re: Ceph instead of RAID

>> This will be a single server configuration, the goal is to replace mdraid, hence I tried to use localhost
>> (nothing more will be added to the cluster). Are you saying it will be less fault tolerant than a RAID-10?

> Ceph is a distributed object store. If you stay within a single machine,
> keep using a local RAID solution (hardware or software).

> Why would you want to make this switch?

I do not think RAID-10 on 6 3TB disks is going to be reliable at all. I have simulated several failures, and
it looks like a rebuild will take a lot of time. Funnily, during one of these experiments, another drive
failed, and I had lost the entire array. Good luck recovering from that...

I feel that Ceph is better than mdraid because:
1) When ceph cluster is far from being full, 'rebuilding' will be much faster vs mdraid
2) You can easily change the number of replicas
3) When multiple disks have bad sectors, I suspect ceph will be much easier to recover data from than from
mdraid which will simply never finish rebuilding.
4) If we need to migrate data over to a different server with no downtime, we just add more OSDs, wait, and
then remove the old ones :-)

This is my initial observation though, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Dmitry