Re: Ceph instead of RAID

> On 08/12/2013 06:49 PM, Dmitry Postrigan wrote:
>> Hello community,
>>
>> I am currently installing some backup servers with 6x3TB drives in them. I played with RAID-10 but I was not
>> impressed at all with how it performs during a recovery.
>>
>> Anyway, I thought what if instead of RAID-10 I use ceph? All 6 disks will be local, so I could simply create
>> 6 local OSDs + a monitor, right? Is there anything I need to watch out for in such configuration?

> I mean, you can certainly do that.  1 mon and all OSDs on one server is
> not particularly fault-tolerant, perhaps, but if you have multiple such
> servers in the cluster, sure, why not?

This will be a single server configuration, the goal is to replace mdraid, hence I tried to use localhost
(nothing more will be added to the cluster). Are you saying it will be less fault tolerant than a RAID-10?

>> Another thing. I am using ceph-deploy and I have noticed that when I do this:
>>
>>      ceph-deploy --verbose  new localhost
>>
>> the ceph.conf file is created in the current folder instead of /etc. Is this normal?

> Yes.  ceph-deploy also distributes ceph.conf where it needs to go.

Hmm. Here's what I do:

ceph-deploy --verbose  new ***

Creating new cluster named ceph
Resolving host ***
Monitor *** at ***
Monitor initial members are ['***']
Monitor addrs are ['***']
Creating a random mon key...
Writing initial config to ceph.conf...
Writing monitor keyring to ceph.conf...

however, /etc/ceph.conf does not exist. There is an empty folder /etc/ceph, but that's it. ceph.conf only
exists in the current folder where I ran ceph-deploy. The hostname I specified is of the same server I ran
this on.

Should I manually copy ceph.conf to /etc?

Not sure if it matters, my OS is a fresh installation of centos-6 64-bit (3.10.5-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64).

>> Also, in the ceph.conf there's a line:
>>      mon host = ::1
>> Is this normal or I need to change this to point to localhost?

> You want to configure the machines such that they have resolvable 'real'
> IP addresses:

> http://ceph.com/docs/master/start/quick-start-preflight/#hostname-resolution

Thank you. Looks like I would have to use the host name and then use iptables to prevent connections from
outside.

>> Thanks for any feedback on this.
>>
>> Dmitry

Dmitry