Large storage nodes - best practices

I am looking at evaluating ceph for use with large storage nodes (24-36 SATA disks per node, 3 or 4TB per disk, HBAs, 10G ethernet).

What would be the best practice for deploying this? I can see two main options.

(1) Run 24-36 osds per node. Configure ceph to replicate data to one or more other nodes. This means that if a disk fails, there will have to be an operational process to stop the osd, unmount and replace the disk, mkfs a new filesystem, mount it, and restart the osd - which could be more complicated and error-prone than a RAID swap would be.

(2) Combine the disks using some sort of RAID (or ZFS raidz/raidz2), and run one osd per node. In this case:
* if I use RAID0 or LVM, then a single disk failure will cause all the data on the node to be lost and rebuilt
* if I use RAID5/6, then write performance is likely to be poor
* if I use RAID10, then capacity is reduced by half; with ceph replication each piece of data will be replicated 4 times (twice on one node, twice on the replica node)

It seems to me that (1) is what ceph was designed to achieve, maybe with 2 or 3 replicas. Is this what's recommended?

I have seen some postings which imply one osd per node: e.g.
http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/08/17/ceph-storage-node-maintenance/
shows three nodes each with one OSD - but maybe this was just a trivial example for simplicity.

Looking at
http://ceph.com/docs/next/install/hardware-recommendations/
it says " You *may* run multiple OSDs per host" (my emphasis), and goes on to caution against having more disk bandwidth than network bandwidth. Ah, but at another point it says " We recommend using a dedicated drive for the operating system and software, and one drive for each OSD daemon you run on the host." So I guess that's fairly clear.

Anything other options I should be considering?

Regards,

Brian.