Block device storage

Hi there

I have a few questions regarding the block device storage and the ceph-filesystem.

We want to cluster a database (Progress) on a clustered filesystem , but the database requires the operating system to see the clustered storage area as a block device , and not a network storage area / filesystem. It refuses to create database volumes on something like GFS2 / Glusterfs , because it sees it as unfit - guessing due to the filesystem attributes, the block size is invalid. It complains about the size when trying to create the db and says that the max size for any volume is 0.

Will ceph be of any help in this regard ?
The database needs to be replicated ( not necessarily realtime , but as close to realtime as possible ) Does the block storage device in ceph mean that it acts as a locally mounted filesystem to the os , and not say a NFS/CIFS/GFS2 share ?

Thank you in advance.
If someone can point me in the right direction , i'd appreciated it.

Benito