Re: FW: Issues with ceph-deploy

Matthew,

I think one of the central differences is that mkcephfs read the
ceph.conf file, and generated the OSDs from the ceph.conf file. It
also generated the fsid, and placed it into the cluster map, but
didn't modify the ceph.conf file itself.

By contrast, "ceph-deploy new" generates the fsid, the initial monitor
host(s), the initial monitor host(s) address, turns authentication on,
sets a journal size and assumes you'll be using omap for xattrs (i.e.,
typically used with ext4), and places these settings into an initial
ceph.conf file. ceph-deploy mon create uses this when creating the
monitors (i.e., bootstrapping requires creating the monitor keys).

http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/mon-config-ref/#bootstrapping-monitors

You need at least one monitor for a ceph cluster. No monitor, no
cluster. You also need at least two OSDs for peering, heartbeats, etc.

With mkcephfs, the OSD map was generated from the ceph.conf file and
you had to specify the domain name of an OSD host in your ceph.conf
file. You'd simply mount drives under the default osd data path--one
disk for each OSD, and often one SSD disk or partition for each
journal for added performance. Just as mkcephfs did not put the fsid,
and mon initial members into ceph.conf, ceph-deploy doesn't put the
osd configuration into ceph.conf.  Personally, I'd rather it be there
for edification purposes. However, one reason to defer to maps is that
sometimes people don't keep config files updated across the cluster
(e.g., part of the rationale for ceph-deploy admin and ceph-deploy
push | pull config). For example, changing monitor IP addresses was an
issue that came up that wasn't particularly intuitive to end users,
because you can't just change the config file and have it update the
cluster map. Have a look here:
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-mons/#changing-a-monitor-s-ip-address

You might also want to look at
http://ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/#cluster-map to see the
contents of each component of a cluster map and its contents. That's
really what's deterministic for the daemons that get started. However,
if you add osd sections to your ceph.conf file and push them out to
the nodes, the new settings will get picked up. See
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/osd-config-ref/ for
OSD settings.  See
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/ceph-conf/ for a
general discussion of the ceph configuration file. You can also make
runtime changes as discussed in that document.

As far as mount options are concerned, I believe they have to be
specified at create time. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

John Wilkins
Senior Technical Writer
Intank
john.wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxx