Issues with ceph-deploy

I'm currently running test pools using mkcephfs, and am now
investigating deploying using ceph-deploy.  I've hit a couple of
conceptual changes which I can't find any documentation for, and was
wondering if someone here could give me some answers as to how things
now work.

While ceph-deploy creates an initial ceph.conf, it doesn't update this
when I do things like 'osd create' to add new osd sections.  However
when I restart the ceph service, it picks up the new osds quite happily.
 How does it 'know' what osds it should be starting, and with what
configuration?

Since there are no sections corresponding to theses new osds, how do I
go about adding specific configuration for them - such as 'cluster addr'
and then push this new config?  Or is there a way to pass in custom
configuration to the 'osd create' subcommand at the point of osd creation?

I have subsequently updated the [osd] section to set
'osd_mount_options_xfs' and done a 'config push' - however the mount
options don't seem to change when I restart the ceph service.  Any clues
why this might be?

Thanks,

Matthew

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.