Re: ceph-deploy and bugs 5195/5205: mon.host1 does not exist in monmap, will attempt to join an existing cluster

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013, Josh Holland wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> On 25 July 2013 17:21, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I suspect the difference here is that the dns names you are specifying in
> > ceph-deploy new do not match.
>
> Aha, this could well be the problem. The current DNS names resolve to
> the address bound to an interface that is intended to be used mostly
> for things like monitoring and SSH, not the actual storage. There is a
> separate subnet for the hypervisors to talk to the cluster on (i.e.
> what Ceph considers the "public network"), and one for the OSDs to
> talk about OSD stuff on ("cluster network").
>
> > Are you adjusting the 'mon host' line in
> > ceph.conf?  Note that you can specify a fqdn to ceph-deploy new and it
> > will take the first name to be the hostname, or you can specify
> > 'ceph-deploy new name:fqdn_or_ip'.
>
> I had been changing the "mon host" line to the current "public
> network" IP addresses; re-running "ceph-deploy new" with the "public
> network" IPs generates an identical config file (as far as I can tell)
> and still fails with the same assertion failure.

What would be helpful would be to reproduce this problem (i.e., make the
monitor crash on startup), and then:

 - tar the /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-`hostname` directory
 - output of 'ceph-mon -i `hostname` --debug-mon 20 --debug-ms 20 -d'
 - output of 'ifconfig'

If you can open a bug at tracker.ceph.com that will help us keep track of
this too.

Thanks!