Re: rgw bucket index

On 7/22/2013 11:50 PM, Yehuda Sadeh wrote:
> 2. Bucket sharding
>
> Keep bucket index over multiple objects. A trivial implementation will
> just set a constant number of shards per index. A (much much) more
> complex implementation will adjust the number of shards on the fly
> according to the number of objects it holds.

It seems to me that there is a lot of logical overlap between this and
the MDS directory hotspotting/sharding.  As I understand it, the MDS
directory sharding is a manual process (from
http://ceph.com/dev-notes/cephfs-mds-status-discussion/).

>From a high level, a POSIX directory is just a bucket that can contain
other buckets and objects with several pre-defined pieces of metadata.

It seems like it might be a good idea to pull the MDS guys in to this
discussion.