Location of MONs

I've got a relatively small Ceph cluster I'm playing with at the moment, and against advice, I'm running the MONs on the OSDs.

Ideally, I'd like to have half the OSDs in a different facility and therefore have one MON in each facility.

Which gives the problem of where to put that pesky third MON...

Is there any likely performance hit if I was to put the third MON in a totally different datacenter, potentially in a different city? I know OSDs need to be able to complete a transaction across all nodes in a placement group before finishing a write, but what about MONs?

As I understand it, the MONs just describe the topology, so surely having them 5ms away shouldn't be that big of a deal?

Just wondered what people's thoughts were.

Cheers,

Matthew Walster